Stop Comparing Yourself
Its time we stop comparing our lives to others people’s. Stop comparing your struggle to others. Everyone has their journey, their challenges based on their strengths and weaknesses. What may be obvious and simple for you may be incredibly difficult for them. That’s simply why you’re not going through it and they are.
In the same situation you would handle things differently based on your particular tools, skills, history, and upbringing. You may not even have to think to hard about what to do. It’s not your challenge, growth opportunity or cross to bear
Secondly if you find yourself of someone’s life, lifestyle, or circumstance, remember that you can do the same thing. Figure out a way to incorporate the coveted thing into your life instead of dwelling in jealousy and negative emotions. The negative emotions really only make you feel terrible and do not contribute positively in anyway.
“Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die. ”
― Carrie Fisher
If my friend has an adventurous life and travels often and I see that and get jealous, I need to remember that I can have that too, I can do it too. Just incorporate it, don’t get jealous.
While speaking with my cousin about how she combats comparing her life to others she gave me a few easy pointers.
(My beautiful cousin and I)
- What do you get out of comparing your life to others? You punish yourself, think your less than and become depressed.
- You can’t have everything.
- If you want it, work for it. Look at them and look at yourself. What makes them look like they’re successful?
- You don’t know everyone’s situation. The grass may seem greener but there is always more too it. A person may have something you covet but who knows what they had to do to get it. Additionally, they may have one thing but are lacking in so many other things.
- Be happy with where you’re at.